"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

About This Blog

Contributors and commenters on this blog are members of West Portal Church's BOOK clubs . . . consisting of women who are striving to read a portion of God's Word each day. This blog is a place for members to share their encouragement through posting insights, comments and questions as they pertain to their daily Bible reading.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Run with perseverance

Hebrews 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.

I have a confession to make, I sometimes like to read the end of a book before I get through the rest. That is what I did with this book. This verse has been on my mind since we were reading 1 and 2 Peter, so I took a better look at it.

When I read this verse, I picture a group of racers running a long race such as a marathon since they need to persevere. It is not a 12 second sprint but a long distance, a distance that takes training and effort. They are cheered on by crowds in the stadium and along the race as they run the preset course. The racers do not veer off through the crowd, there is a path and a goal. The racers are not carrying anything they do not need so they are not weighed down. They have thrown off everything that is unnecessary.

Our faith journey is to be like this. We are not running a short sprint but the race of a lifetime. Unlike these racers, we sometimes get distracted by our worries and worldly cares. I find it interesting that we are not only to throw off sin but also that which hinders, those things that are a distraction from the purpose God has for us need to be removed. I find that it is not always easy to identify these things. They are often good things, they may have had a good purpose in our life. They may be things that we needed but no longer need. I have been in the process of evaluating my commitments and habits to see if I am holding on to things I no longer need. It is not easy. Some things are part of the race marked out for us. Unlike the marathon I envision, each of us has a different path to take, yet we work together to the same goal. We are part of the cloud of witnesses as are those who have already finished their race and whose stories we have recorded as an encouragement.

Our paths take us over uneven ground. Some are running in what seems to be an uphill journey and exhaustion threatens. Others are running over uneven ground where rocks may cause them to stumble. Still others may be passing through the meadow where the ground is level and the challenges few. I have had times where this all seems to occur within one day. In 2 Peter 1, we are promised that we have everything we need for life and godliness. I am so thankful for that and for those God has provided to encourage us as we run with perseverance the race marked out for us. I am thankful for God's grace that allows us to get up and start over when we stumble and fall and for the strength he provided on those uphill journeys that we can't see the end of.

Now I'll go back to the beginning parts of the book so I can find out what else the writer has for me.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Thanks for your insights for this passage Florianne - as I shared in your last blog the sudden and tragic loss of our friend a couple weeks ago ... how God's word prepares us for the challenges we face and it is His promises in His word that carry us through the valleys. I love the book of Hebrews - it spurs us on and offers us the hope we have in Christ! It's amazing how God equips and strengthens us through the trials so that we may be instruments for Him. Yes may we "fix our thoughts on Jesus" Hebrews 3:1 so that we can be a testimony for Him in all circumstances. Praise be to God!

Lynn

Florianne said...

Lori, I love how you combined your reading from 1 Peter and Hebrews. Sometimes we take each book individually and yet really, the Bible is one big book.

I was so surprised when I first started reading and saw your blog was about Hebrews 12. I first wondered if I was that far behind or if I had somehow missed the first half of May. Whew - big relief when you explained you began at the end. Does this mean with a murder mystery book you find out 'who done it' first??!! Just kidding. Thanks for your comments.

lorig said...

Actually Florianne, I do find out who done it with a murder mystery if I have to go to bed and am not finished yet. It is a bad habit I developed after having kids.

Kim A. said...

Ah yes, the race called life. I loved the way you described that race in your post, Lori. I can't wait to get to Hebrews 12! I'm more of a systematic reader, so I likely won't get there for a while!