"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

About This Blog

Contributors and commenters on this blog are members of West Portal Church's BOOK clubs . . . consisting of women who are striving to read a portion of God's Word each day. This blog is a place for members to share their encouragement through posting insights, comments and questions as they pertain to their daily Bible reading.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Surgeon's Scalpel

Hebrews 4:12
For the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

This verse has been on my mind since I read it last week. In reading this and contemplating it, I picture a surgeons scalpel. It needs to be sharp to do its job without damaging healthy tissue. A skilled surgeon can cut out the damaged or infected tissue with their scalpel. Often the longer we wait, or the longer the tissue is damaged, the more damage it causes. I think this is true of our attitudes and thoughts as well. The word of God is even sharper and used by the Master, the damage is limited to removing that which is not needed. The offending thoughts and attitudes are removed before they become habits that we hold on to. Unless...
I don't like change and yet there are times I crave change. I know that what God has planned is better than I can dream. He promises in Ephesians more than we can ask or imagine. But it is unknown and worry or fear or self sufficiency or any number of attitudes that get in the way of God's best for me. I find myself holding back and trying to hold on to things I need to let go. Worry and fear are two biggies for me and this month they have tried to take up residence again. It is only by allowing the Word of God to penetrate and divide that which is healthy from that which isn't that I can overcome them. Unless...
We have to give a surgeon permission before they start. So too with God, we need to submit to His will for us. We need to be willing to let go of that which is being cut away.

1 comment:

Florianne said...

I love that verse. I have read it over and over again and yet you still managed to convey thoughts and ideas I had not thought of. That's why I think this blog is such a great idea.

I love the idea of giving a surgeon permission. Some people are really really sick and yet they still don't want surgery. It's scary to have surgery. Isn't that just like us? We are sick - filled with sin. God promises to help get rid of it and yet we often say no. I need to say yes.

Thanks for the reminder Lori.