"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

About This Blog

Contributors and commenters on this blog are members of West Portal Church's BOOK clubs . . . consisting of women who are striving to read a portion of God's Word each day. This blog is a place for members to share their encouragement through posting insights, comments and questions as they pertain to their daily Bible reading.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

1 Peter 3

Hi ladies:

Well, I know how to comment on a blog but this is my very first offical post. It took me a second to know where to click - top right hand corner.

You will have heard me read these verses at our BOOK club meetings but I wanted to write them down again. They have been so powerful to me this month.

vs 8 - to sum up, let all be harmonious, sympathetic, brotherly, kindhearted and humble in spirit. Wow those are tough qualities but can you imagine if we were all like that ~!!??

vs 9 - not returning evil for evil, or insult for insult but giving a blessing instead; for you were called for the very purpose that you might inherit a blessing. See, this is why journaling is so important. I was going to write one thing but as I typed the verse, God spoke to me in a different way. We are to give a blessing. We are also going to inherit a blessing. If we really understood what that inheritance looked like, it would not be difficult to bless others - remember that blessing of others comes when they are insulting or doing evil to us. It seems so hard but if my perspective was my eternal inheritance it wouldn't be so hard.

vs 11 - let him seek peace and pursue it. My guess is, that if we had the qualities in vs 8 peace would be the more natural outcome.

Looking forward to reading your comments and your new postings!!

Always praying for you.

2 comments:

Kim A. said...

Perspective has SO much to do with it, doesn't it? Thanks for this reminder.

caralee said...

I've been thinking about that first covenant God made with Abraham (Abram?) - that through him the nations would be blessed. I agree with you,Florianne,that we are tested when in the midst of evil and insult we return a kind word, or good deed. I wonder if the blessing that we inherit is the Christ-like ability to see others through His eyes - with compassion and humility and unconditional love? This is the puzzling/mysterious thing about our Christian walk - we sacrifice our natural inclinations, but there is nothing that we give up in terms of what is truly valuable.