"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

About This Blog

Contributors and commenters on this blog are members of West Portal Church's BOOK clubs . . . consisting of women who are striving to read a portion of God's Word each day. This blog is a place for members to share their encouragement through posting insights, comments and questions as they pertain to their daily Bible reading.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Prayer

Acts 1:14 They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

The apostles and followers of Jesus are waiting for the Holy Spirit who has been promised to them. They walked with Jesus. They saw amazing things. They were promised a comforter, a counsellor who would come. They watched Jesus ascend into heaven alive. The last instruction they received was to wait for the Holy Spirit to come (verse 4 and 5) and a promise that when He came they would receive power so they could be witnesses all over the world (verse 8). So they gathered together and waited.

I have trouble waiting. I get agitated. I want to find out the surprise, especially at Christmas. I want to see the results of what I am waiting for good or bad. This group was waiting. As they waited they prayed constantly. Constantly, I don't think I do anything constantly. Maybe I would have an easier time waiting if I spent more of that time in prayer. They also waited together. I have found that waitin gtogether is easier than by myself. I wonder what things would I see happen if during those times of waiting I "joined together constantly in prayer" with others who were waiting? I wonder how much more of the Holy Spirits power we would experience as a community if we "joined together constantly in prayer" before we acted?

This verse definitly grabbed my attention and has challenged me in my prayer life. I can't wait to see what God does as I try to obey.

1 comment:

Florianne said...

Hmmm, gives me an idea. Maybe, as a group, we should spend some time waiting....and...praying. See what happens.