"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."
Psalm 119:105

About This Blog

Contributors and commenters on this blog are members of West Portal Church's BOOK clubs . . . consisting of women who are striving to read a portion of God's Word each day. This blog is a place for members to share their encouragement through posting insights, comments and questions as they pertain to their daily Bible reading.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Quick....Slow

I can't imagine how many times I have read James and I am still underlining words and verses that impact me in a new way. There were two ideas from the last part of James 1 that I found powerful this morning. If I want to receive God's word, I must put aside my sin (v21). I need to make sure I read God's Word with a clean, pure heart. If I want to be blessed, I need to look intently in God's word, abide by it and do what it says (v25). Intently does not mean a quick perusal. I looked up the word: synonyms are careful, attentive and absorbed. I then need to abide and obey. I can't just read and leave it. I need to actively practice what I read.

So today...
-quick to hear
-slow to speak
-slow to anger

2 comments:

Kim A. said...

I too am finding that James STILL provides me with new insights even though it's probably the book of the Bible that I've read the most.

Heather B said...

I read your post while eating ice cream, and I stopped with the spoon half way to my mouth 'cause something you said just hit me. Wow. It makes me want to read James at the same time I'm reading 1 Corinthians!

It was like your words were a hand that prodded me and said, "Hey, listen!"
Just wanted to say that... thanks for posting, it's so encouraging!